October 8, 2012

Listomania!

Void---

One thing you've got to know about me---I make lists!  No, I'm not talking grocery lists or goal lists (although I love and make those too)  I'm talking every single thing that needs to happen!  I need order, structure, organization and a plan.  Lists help me accomplish this.  Also, who doesn't LOVE the great feeling of checking away at a list??

While planning my wedding, I made many lists---things to do, things to buy, things to pack on my honeymoon, guest lists, costs of wedding needs, list of things to take to the new house, things we would need for the new house, registry lists, thank you card lists---I even made a list of all the lists just for you! :)  I'd make a freakishly over-successful Santa Claus!  Welcome to my OCD! 

I don't limit my OCD to list making, although that is a large part of it.  Other parts include: The need for cleanliness, punctuality, no even numbers, hand washing and teeth brushing an insane amount of times daily, constant use of chapstick/lotion.  I even stopped using nail polish for a while because if one nail chipped---they all had to go!

I realize that I open myself up for criticism by listing my OCD behaviors, but please note that my OCD is not officially diagnosed, does not cripple me or those around me and does not restrict my life in the extreme.

To some degree, I think everyone is OCD about something.  Everyone likes something their way or "the right way".  I inherit most of my OCD tendencies from my mother!   But for the most part my OCD uplifts instead of restricts.

Cleanliness = Good
Lists = Good
Personal Hygeine = Good
Symmetry = Good
Even #'s = Bad

Okay....maybe that's my ONE obscure OCD tendancy.....

But the world doesn't end if a list doesn't get made and if I don't have lotion, I don't have a meltdown (think 'Monk').  But I do have a taste of what real OCD might be like.  And for those of you with diagnosed OCD, I feel you and

Bergen Says:  Make a list.  Check it off and see how good it feels!

No comments:

Post a Comment