Recent events have had me thinking about how you should work for what you want. It is Wednesday, and as such, I am having a 'thing' for words that begin with 'W'. I think that if you want something, you should work for it. If you want to be something, or have something or achieve something, you need to work for it. People who deserve things, work for them.
I'm not saying that everyone who deserves something gets it, or even that those who get what they want deserve it. I'm just saying that if you really want something, really truly....you will work hard to get it no matter what.
I will try not to be specific in this example, though it may prove difficult. I have an old
Call me rude. Go ahead. I have been accused, and very passive-aggressively defined as 'the jealous friend' who feels like somehow unnamed frenemy's yet to be determined success undermines my own abilities as an 'artist'. Let me assure you, this is not the case. I just feel that if you need money to fund your 'album' you should be working for it, not asking for it. Imagine how successful you'll feel if you fund it yourself. How much effort does it take to ask people for money? Not much.
I have worked for everything I have. I am in the process of writing a novel...the very, very beginning of the process. While these two fields vary in their approach of success, I would never post my ambitions online and ask for people to fund me in the hopes that I would one day be successful. Starting out, your fans are mostly friends and family...no matter what you hope to be. As you gain success (by proving your ability and worth) then you gain larger fan bases. But even then, you shouldn't ask them for money.
I am not trying to put anybody down for asking for money. I am not trying to crush anyones dreams or tell them not to try. I am just stating my OPINION, that asking for money to fund your possibly wreckless and disappointing ambitions is faulty. To my 'frenemy' I wish the best of luck in her future endeavors. I feel that people should chase their dreams, even if they go about it in a different way than I would. I also feel no remorse in clicking the decline button when invited to 'financially support' those endeavors.
Work for what you want. Have a good work ethic and you will go far!
When the time comes to publish my novel, you can guarantee I will not be asking you for money. Hopefully, I will be negotiating an advance and will be in no need of your finances :)
Until that day, Bergen Says: Work it Girl!
I WILL buy that book. At a bookstore at full price! But then will immediately request you to sign it. And my guess is you will........for free!
ReplyDeleteI would be happy to! I may even give some away to my faithful readers---for free!
ReplyDelete