Today I have been listening to my Billy Joel Pandora station. (There has been no co-worker whistling....yet). While sitting here enjoying my tunes from the 80's...I was thinking about my parents, since this was the music that was new and exciting when they were around my age and younger...and it hit me. The 80's were over 30 years ago. Over 30 years ago!
This music that I love...will be to my children what 50's music is to me. Really old music. Classic, old music. Seriously...the 80's were over 30 years ago. I hope this doesn't make you feel old...but it sure is making me feel old.
Some of my best memories are associated with this music. It's the music I associate with my dad. One of my best memories is being little and listening to cd's with him. He was a drummer in his younger years, so he always air drums along with his favorites. When he drives, he always drums on the steering wheel.
My recent favorite memory is when I went with him to shop for my mom for Christmas. It was my first time riding in his new truck, he had his 80's music on, it was dark and Sister Christian by Night Ranger came on. We both listened and sang and I remember thinking...this is one of those moments that I will remember . This is a memory that I am making.
Memories of my Mom with 80's music consist of her asking us to download songs onto her MP3 player and watching her dance around the kitchen with her headphones in. She introduced me to Kajagoogoo, and Too Shy is still one of my favorite songs. She also likes playing Rock Band and I remember when she sang Rock Lobster by the B52's while we all played the instruments. I remember thinking then, this is a memory in the making.
Music from the 80's will always hold a special place in my heart. It is my go to music on most days. And no matter how much time passes, it will always be 'classic rock' and not oldies.
It's weird to think that the music I listen to is going to be old to my kids. And honestly, I hope to raise my kids on the 80's just like I was, because that is real music. What we have today is nothing like the music I grew up listening too. I hope music doesn't keep spiraling down into crap...but I think it will. And it's sad to me to think that the best music we'll ever have has already been made, and keeps getting older.
But that's what makes it classic. Getting older, but getting better. True talent. No auto-tune, or dub step, or crazy electronic enhancement. Just some people with big hair, a few microphones and some instruments.
That's how it should be.
Bergen Says: 80's=greatness
No comments:
Post a Comment