March 20, 2013

What if...

I couldn't feel pain?

There is a condition called CIPA that is exactly that...you don't feel pain.  The receptors to your brain that sense pain, hot and cold are disrupted, so you do not feel pain.

I think there was an episode of House with a girl who had the condition.  While I would love to be able to flip my pain receptors on and off on days like today when I have a bad headache, there are some downfalls!

If you couldn't feel pain, you would never know when something was wrong.  You would burn yourself, or cut yourself, or break a bone and not know because you couldn't feel it.  There is a reason our bodies can detect pain, and not being able to can be life threatening.

But if I couldn't feel pain, days like today would be much better!  I seem to always have some sort of health issue going on...kidney infections, migraines, colds, UTI's.  My body struggles!  But without pain we wouldn't know relief, and that is one of my favorite feelings.

Bergen Says:  I'm feeling it!

No comments:

Post a Comment