November 6, 2013

Thankful #4: Awesome Parents

As my alarm went off this morning, I couldn't help noticing the sound of passing cars.  My first thought: Who is up and driving at 6:30 in the morning?  My 2nd thought:  Oh no....that sounds like cars driving through wetness!

It snowed last night!  There was about 1/8 of an inch of snow covering everything this morning.  I am saddened by this.  I'm not ready for it---I'm not, I tell you!

But that's not what this post is about!  This post is about my awesome parents.

I am so unbelievably grateful for my parents.  I really do believe that our families are selected for us based on our needs.  There's no way it's all left up to chance.  I am so happy that I was born to my parents.  I know they were and continue to be the right parental force for me.

I'm thankful for a mom who taught me the value of hard work.  She taught me that being an independent, outspoken, smart female is a great thing to be.  She taught me to love reading.  (Who am I kidding, she's my mom, she taught me everything!)

I love that she can't talk without gesturing her hand wildly, that she always has a book to read and always has such great advice to give.  I love hearing her opinions of things, because I value what she has to say.  I love how she dances around to her favorite songs---a good combination of new and old music!  I am so grateful that she will be a guiding force in my kids life, she will be a wonderful grandma! (She probably doesn't want to be called that yet...but it's coming!!)

I'm thankful for a dad who also taught me the value of hard work.  But he didn't just teach me to work hard, he taught me to play hard.  He always says, "Life is too short to be too serious."  He taught me that life doesn't always go the way you plan, but you make the best of it and keep moving forward.  He's such a rock for our family---definitely the pants-wearing patriarch--which I love!

I love that he drums on the steering wheel to the songs he listened to in high school.  I love that he taught me to appreciate the 'oldies'.  I love that he's so loyal to his family, backing us 100% in all that we do.  I also love that I get my "people are not my thing" attitude from him.  He'd much rather be around his family and the people he loves than anyone else.  I love that he finally has the truck he's been wanting ever since I can remember.  I love how he so appreciates that he has it and still gets excited to drive it.  He also gives great advice and has great perspectives on things.  He is a quiet fountain of wisdom.  He will be a wonderful grandpa---even if he does decide to call my baby boy 'Red'.  (I'll explain this sometime!)

Okay---maybe it's the pregnancy hormones at work here, but I am having a hard time not busting out in tears right now!  Not sure what that's about!  I'm not even getting that sentimental here, but I really do love, respect and appreciate both of my parents immensely.  

They are wonderful examples to me in all facets of life.  Especially where a strong, lasting marriage is involved.  They have both overcome adversity in various ways throughout their lives and come out on top, and that is a great inspiration to me.  Your past never has to dictate how you live in the future---a lesson I think everyone appreciates.      

Not everyone appreciates their parents.  I think now that I have officially flown the nest (though not far away!) I really do have the time and experience necessary to truly appreciate all that parents do for their children.  Though I'm technically not a parent yet, I have a glimpse into just what a parent is willing to do for their children and it never ceases to amaze me.  I know my parents sacrificed a lot for me and my siblings and I will never be able to repay them or thank them enough for everything they have given me.

I love you mom and dad!  I really do appreciate everything you have done and continue to do for me.  I only hope that Chris and I can be half as amazing as you are at parenting.  That will still be an incredible feat.

<3



See how great they are?  I get my good looks from them :)

2 comments: