November 5, 2012

Solemn Monday

Over the weekend I received some serious news about some of my coworkers.  The work we do gave our company an opportunity to travel to the East Coast to help out victims of Superstorm Sandy.  On their way there, one of the vehicles they were traveling in broke down and while attempting to fix the problem, a semi slid off the road and crashed into them. We had five men volunteer to go on this trip, and all five of them were seriously injured.  As they were on the other side of the country at the time of the crash, you can imagine how devastating it was for their loved ones to hear about. 

As the business I work for is a family business, many of the men hurt were loved ones.  As we assembled this morning to hear a report, many tears were shed as the injuries of each person were listed.  They range anywhere from head trauma to shattered rib cages, puncutured lungs to lacerations.  Not a single person was unharmed save for the driver of the semi.  As of right now 2 of the 5 men are in critical condition.  Yesterday, we were thankful that they had all survived, regardless of what their injuries were. 

Some of them are doing much better than others.  A few have even been released from hospital care and will return home to us soon.  As for the others, our thoughts and prayers go out to them and their loved ones.  We hope for speedy, complete recoveries, but know that there will be many months of healing and physical therapy before everything is as good as it was before.

And so today, I am thankful for life.  I am thankful that the human body is so miraculous and despite horrific trauma, still functions and finds a way to mend.  I am thankful for the modern medicine that makes mending possible and less painful.  I am thankful for the different modes of modern transportation that allows loved ones to be with each other in short amounts of time.  I am thankful for strong support systems and those who are strong in tough situations.  And, mostly, I am thankful that my brother was not there to be injured.  He had an opportunity to go with the crew, and I am thankful that he chose not to, and as a result was not injured. 

My heart is breaking for those who ache over this accident.  Watching a loved one suffer is not something I wish on anyone.  It's amazing how life can change so drastically for so many people in the blink of an eye.  I am truly thankful for the gift of life and that so many lives were spared this weekend. 

Bergen Says:  Life is precious.  Be thankful for yours. 

2 comments:

  1. Who got hurt? How is everybody doing? I had wondered if they were going to send a crew out for the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylar, Zack, Jeremy, Mitch and Jared. Right now Skylar and Zack are doing the worst. Everyone else is okay.

    ReplyDelete