November 15, 2012

Through The Fog

As this blog title may suggest, I opened my front door to a settled fog.  I admit that it took me off guard for a minute.  Fog is not something that I am accustomed to in the area.  Call me crazy---but I'd take slick, snowy roads over foggy ones.  I don't like not being able to see more than ten feet in front of me while driving on the highway.

It definitely had me reflecting as I strained to make out forms of cars in front of me.  No one was going the speed limit, but still, we were driving fast and unexpected cars popping out of the fog made me jumpy.  It bothers me that people didn't turn their lights on.  I know they don't help you drive, but they are an early indicator that there is a car in the vicinity.  With safety in mind, please turn your headlights on when it's foggy!

Anyway, I was thinking about how life is like a winter in Idaho.  It's unpredictable.  Sometimes the roads are clear, sometimes they are foggy.  Sometimes you travel with your end goal in sight, other times you can only see that ten feet in front of you.  Regardless, everyone is trying to get somewhere.  There are those who take into consideration those who are also journeying, and there are those who do not.  

When the roads haven't been plowed, you sometimes have to follow in the tracks of other cars if you want to stay true to your course.  This is also like life.  There are those that choose to sidestep cautious trekkers, forging their own paths, sometimes dangerously and there are those who take heed to them and slow themselves.  

We pass those who made decisions before us, that may have ended up in the median or off to the side of the road, hazard lights blinking and choose to be more wary.  Or you may pass by thanking whomever that it wasn't you, mocking them for having not been more cautious.  

Regardless, we make, what can be, life altering decisions every day.  Do you stay behind the slow mini-van driven by the elderly man and arrive to work alive, but late?  Do you blaze by him and risk being thrown off course by snow drifts and an unsure path?  Do you curse those who choose the slow lane, playing it safe?  Do you forge your own path, or follow the safely worn one?  No matter your choice or state of mind, everyone's end goal is the same...to make it through the fog.

Interesting where thoughts can take you if you let them.

Bergen Says: Drive safely and turn your lights on!

P.S.  Happy 2 months of marriage to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment